Mission       Background       Networks       Our team

Helping the poor for 60 years

Founded in 1955, the organization’s structure expresses a dedication to help the poor that has always been at the very heart of the action of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, a catholic congregation founded in 1816 in Aix-en-Provence, and established in Canada since 1841.

 
In the mid-20th century, during and after World War II, a good number of Oblate priests and brothers went off to distant countries, as well as to First Nations’ territories. In order to finance and gather supplies for the community’s various missions, dedicated Oblates in Montreal acted as procurators, asking financial and material donations to support the many social and religious activities in the field. In 1955, along with the help of lay brothers from the community, the Oblates built a mission center in Montreal, where they centralized efforts to foster teamwork and to share resources.
 
In the early 1970s, the community decided to reorganize the mission centre in order to better target its assistance to the needs of a world in turmoil. Therefore, a new organisation, the CMO, was established to integrate within a single team all hospitality, animation, preaching and fundraising events for various mission countries. Needless to say this decision was far sighted, as the CMO has remained a competent and trustworthy intermediary, discerningly distributing its donors’ and partners’ funds to needy populations in more than forty countries.